Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Yet another reason to love goodreads....

Cut and Paste reviews!  It's been forever since I've done a book update, here are my top 5 in the past...long time:

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I am very sad to think that I won't be returning the the world of westeros for another few years.  Opening this book (or in my case turning on the kindle) felt like coming home after a long time away. I really dragged out finishing this because I was happy reading it.



This is no FfC.  Every chapter was engrossing, every story moved the plot forward.  Things started to come together - but not in the way you would expect -- In a way that smacks purely of Martin.  Several surprises even though you know the parallel timeline in FfC.  Several shockers as only Martin can do.



Fantastic read! 











View all my reviews

TiganaTigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


First book I've read from this author and there is some pretty cool stuff in it. 



The good:

amazing depth of characters

well developed world

stand-alone fantasy

well written

nice pacing

emotional

a lot of "grey" or in between actions and morals, very interesting perspective on all manners of good and evil



The not so good:

I want more of this world!!  Give me more than one book, please!!!

A little formulaic/predictable in places but did not detract from enjoyment

Some "too tidy" threads



This one got added to my all time favs.  Very easy to read quickly, it's a page turner.  Interesting and new fantasy themes with easy to relate to characters, and ones you really care about.  Fans of Martin's series would enjoy this book a lot.



View all my reviews
Haroun and the Sea of StoriesHaroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The only bad thing I can think to say of this book was that it was too short.  Quite possibly the most enjoyable read I've had in years - an allegory tale yet one that is completely entertaining, lovable, and fun as it stands.  Reminds me a little of Oz and Where the Wild things are with adult wit and insight.



I read one review that stated this is for hardcore Rushdie fans and I couldn't disagree more.  I've cracked a few of his books and haven't been intrigued so when a friend handed me this one I felt obliged to try it out.  I am now looking for more Rushdie to read.  Fast paced, fantastical, extremely well written (the kind of book that reminds you that there are REALLY amazing authors out there) and with a lot of heart, I recommend it to anyone who needs a reprieve from serious but still needs a book with a lot of brain.







View all my reviews
Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I will echo Naz's sentiment on this one which is, "why haven't I read this book until now????"



View all my reviews

Eleanor of Aquitaine: A BiographyEleanor of Aquitaine: A Biography by Marion Meade

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Reality TV has nothing on Royal England.  I'm convinced that any King named Henry is destined for an amazingly scandalous tenure on the throne.



When I started reading it I felt the material was a little dry and academic.  As it got into the meat of the drama I forgot that I could not hear Eleanor's voice at all (she left no letters, poetry, etc. so the author does not try to recreate her tone as she has no proof of what it was).  By the end I appreciated the succinct and very meticulously researched and detailed account of her life.  Without overtures or guesses into how Eleanor really talked, spoke, or interacted I have in my mind a clear picture of her - the author succeeded in making this a well documented and accurate account of her life.



View all my reviews





No comments:

Post a Comment