Wednesday, August 24, 2011

ADK Journal aka why the hell did I buy so much squash?

Silver Lake, NY.  A little piece of heaven and my annual girl getaway for many years.  Most years Pilar or Alli or Molly make some sort of daily journal or art book filled with quotes and moments and every year I go back, flip through them, and lament that I didn't do the same. 


Silver Lake


Thursday:
The boathouse, with girls!
On the ferry.  I text pilar, she says, don't eat - we are waiting for you!  Arrive, eat snacks and wine, chat with Jim, Judy, and Blas.  Pilar's thumb is big from slamming it in a car door!  Blas has the boathouse this year so we stay in the big house.  Boo on Blas.




Friday:
Wake up and get my morning coffee.  Have it on the porch, listen to NPR.  Read my book.  Pilar again tries to fool me into a hike which means climbing a mountain.  I say NOOO.  No.  Swim a lot.   Judy goes to town.  Judy gets into an accident.  Seafoam car DOWN!  Judy ok.  Now there are only grey hatchbacks in the driveway.  Phew!  Seafoam was messing things up.  Pilar and I walk to the bog.  Monica seems to be dying, she is very thin for a cat.Pilar goes to bed at like, 6pm.  I stay up and drink liquor with Blas and Jim.

Reading in the boathouse

Saturday:
Wake up to Penny sitting on my bed staring at me.  Finally get up.  Blas turns down the Healthblats for mountain climb.  Very unlike Blas. Brooks no show; this makes Pilar sad.  I read.  Have coffee on porch.  Pilar and I go on a long walk to Judy's cabin with Penny.  Take a swim off Judy's dock.  Pilar makes awesome BLT sandwiches.  Pilar and Blas Guffaw at me for drinking at 1pm.  Do Yoga with Pilar in the yard.  Swim.  Read.  Judy packs a picnic and we all get in the little motor boat (except Blas who canoes).  We stop at the Healthblats dock (ok I really don't remember their real names...it's my pet name for them for years b/c they are always exercising and everyone calls them that now).  Get to the beach on other end of Lake.  Have baked brie, rum & tonics.  When I look at us we look straight out of the 60's.  We are very cool.  Go back, make dinner and then a bonfire with smores.  Everyone hates my game "Ghost" but they hate Pilar's game more.  Pilar goes to bed at 8pm.  Blas and I stay up and enjoy the fire.

Sunday:
Rainy day!  Penny is scared so we put on her thunder jacket.  Coffee on the porch.  Read.  Drive to Lake Placid and see "The Help."  Pilar tries to teach me how to use Itunes.  I hate you apple.  Blas makes us dinner - fish burritos (everyone is very amendable to my weird eating restrictions).  Jim says, "who would name someone Benny Anders?" and Blas responds, "this coming from a guy who named me Blas Nadal."  I giggle.  Teach everyone Balderdish.  They like this better than the other games.  Judy wins.  Pilar actually stays up.  Amazing.

Monday:
Coffee on the porch.  I pack.  I am sad.  Get some last minute sun and hugs all around.  On the way home I stop at a local farm and buy a bucket of squash.  It was only 3 bucks but now I'm like, wtf did I do that for?  I've been eating squash ever since.


Till next year my happy home!


No comments:

Post a Comment