Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Meatless Mondays

Johns Hopkins is starting a campaign for people to reduce eating meat on Mondays. I like the idea because it makes you feel like you are doing something without the pressure of going completely vegetarian. If you do not eat meat on Mondays you will reduce your meat intake by 14% - pretty significant if you think about it. You might not care at all about what you eat which is fine. If you do though, Meatless Monday is a great way to contribute without the full on commitment.

In order to add my measley support to this initiative I have decided to share a veggie recipe on Mondays.

 AJ’s Tabouleh (Hind Matthews/Ina Garten)
This is my Nana’s recipe (ingredients). Nana was born in Iraq and lived in Lebanon, Egypt, and Turkey (among other places) before settling down in Pennsylvania. I’d love to tell you this particular combo of Tabouleh is from a specific region of the middle east but frankly I have no idea and I doubt Nana would either – I think it’s a combination from several regions.
It’s important to note that I am using Ina Garten’s method for cooking Bulgur Wheat. Must give that fabulous cook her due.
In the summer I always have tabouleh in the fridge. It’s my go to snack. It’s a refreshing salad but it’s delicious if you throw some hummus in a pita and stuff it with tabouleh. It can also be wrapped in grape leaves.

1 c. bulgur (you can find near the dried beans or in the organic section)
¼ c. olive oil
2 ½ tsps salt (kosher sea salt is best)
1 ½ c. boiling water


2-3 green onions, minced (you can use other types of onion but I don’t recommend it. Use the green!)
1-2 tomatoes (more if you like them)
3 TBS chopped fresh parsley (I eyeball this but I’d say 3 tbs)
2-3 TBS chopped fresh mint (I eyeball this, go a little lighter on mint than parsley)
Juice from 1 or 2 fresh lemons




  • Put bulgur in bowl with olive oil, salt and pour boiling water over it. Mix and let stand 1 hour.



  • After 1 hour mix the rest of the ingredients together.

I’d recommend chilling it before serving. Making the night before works best as the flavors really meld over night in the fridge. Keeps great!

You can also add cucumbers, black pepper, allspice and cinnamon if it strikes your fancy.

Bulgar Wheat nutritional info:
1 cup of unprepared bulgur contains approximately:



  • Energy: 1500 kJ (360 kcal)



  • Dietary fiber: 8 g



  • Protein: 12.5 g



  • Carbohydrate: 69 g whereof 0.8 g sugars



  • Fat: 1.75 g whereof 0.2 g saturated fat



  • Potassium: 410mg [4]

1 comment:

  1. Some of my favorites ingredients. On my list to try, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete