Wednesday, February 10, 2010

lunch talks

Monday

Vishal: So what is the religion in the US, Christianity?

Me: um…well, no. I guess maybe it’s built on Christian principles but we aren’t a ‘Christian’ Country.

Vishal: What kind of country are you?

Me: We aren’t meant to be a ‘religious’ country per se.

Vishal: What’s the majority?

Me: I guess Christianity. Although I’d estimate we have equal parts jews/non-believers so all together that makes up the majority.

Vishal: What are you?

Me: Me? I’m nothing.

Vishal: You are a nonbeliever????”

Me: Yes.

[silence]

Varsha: You don’t pray…at all?

Me: No.

Varsha: Wow, I spend so much time praying.

VishalG: Well then what do you do when you need to do really well on a test? Who do you thank if you get a promotion?

Me: I study. And I guess I thank my luck.

[laughter]

Vishal: I guess there is something in that, You are completely responsible for yourself.



Wednesday

Vishal: Are you going to have your cook learn Indian food when you go back to the states?

Me: [snort] Yeah, I’ll make sure to teach myself.

Vishal: You cook?

Me: Yes, I do everything.

Vishal: Your laundry? [nod] Your dishes? [nod] Your ironing? [nod] Your driving, your car washing?

Rupal: It’s cleaner there, they don’t need to wash their cars.

Vishal: How much does it cost to clean your car?

Me: 10 bucks for the outside.

Vishal: The OUTSIDE? I pay 4 dollars a month and I get it cleaned every day. How much is baby care?

Me: Women I know don’t go back to work because they’d lose money paying for daycare even with their jobs.

Vishal: I don’t understand, don’t you have any luxuries? I thought you had Mexicans?

Me: See? We don’t have time to pray.

Vishal: I feel better now, I like being Indian.

3 comments:

  1. I'm surpirsed Vishal knows so little abt US! Is he for real?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you crack me up. just caught up on your posts. my head's been in the sand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I think he is for real Anand. But I don't really get phased by it. People know so little about other cultures everywhere. I find that I hear a lot of misconceptions about the states from even Canada & Mexico - and they are right next to us.

    @Kalanna thx =)

    ReplyDelete