Sunday, February 28, 2010

Happy Holi!

The adjective "colorful" is often used to describe India and Holi is probably the best festival which captures this idea.  It is, actually, "The Festival of Colors."

I don't know much about Holi.  It seems to incorporate many portents for celebration.  It has a Hindu flair (little holi, the night before, celebrates an old story by the lighting of bonfires) and a more druidic or natural piece as it falls on the last full moon day of the winter season.  I believe it is more of a xmas type festival where it's merged mutliple historical contexts into a large party day.  It is a national holiday (most festivals tend to be regional, this is one of the few that is celebrated throughout) and it's ALL about color.  Mostly throwing color powder or water.  On people.

For those of you who happen to be "amazing race" fans you might recall the espisode where contestants had to run through a crowd of people throwing colors at them.  I've also seen TV commericials in india with people holding someting similiar to a water gun which shoots out the stuff.  It's pretty damn impressive.

I have been warned and told not to leave my house tomorrow as I will most likely "get colored" and some of it will not wash off with ease.  I am going to try to make it to the apartment complex festival and hopefully will be able to take some pics of the fun from the gates.  I'd like to experience it somewhat!

Happy Holi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment