Wednesday, October 28, 2009

October Reading

Another month already.  You can check out my longer reviews or more books on goodreads!  I'm loving it so far!  http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2810793-aj

Black Echo
Black Ice
Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly
This would be 3 books, the first three of the Harry Bosch Series. It’s not that I found a series that I loved but rather an awesome deal on Kindle: three books for the price of one. Harry was a little annoying in the first book and I didn’t start to understand him until book 3. I hate not being able to say a main character’s name (Bosk, Botch, Bousch, what is it?) and for the first book I had erroneously inserted a phantom “r” into his name calling him “Borsk” in my head the whole time. Anyway, the 3rd book is the best of the bunch, the series keeps on going, I won’t.

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
So I was so into finding a good detective series that I forgot my first love: fantasy/sci-fi series. This book was a nice reminder in the power of a good fantasy novel. It also hit the spot perfectly – I was in no mood to enter a whole new world the size and scope of a Martin or Jordan enterprise but I still wanted to be whisked away and entertained thoroughly. Enter the Mistborn prescription: I certainly felt completely compelled by these characters and enthralled with the world without feeling like I needed to reserve an entire section of my brain for trivia tidbits. Great read, worth the pickup. Sanderson will be completing the Wheel of Time Series which after reading Mistborn, I’m eager to pick up again.

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Supposedly the grandfather of all mystery/detective novels, Wlikie Collins spins a great Halloween read in the 1850’s. Beautifully written (warning – will take you a few pages to get into the style) and amazingly interesting. I found it to be surprising. Then again I find most mysteries surprising. But this one really had you on a story you never expected when you opened the book and I don’t want to say where it goes for fear of spoilage. This was also the first book I read for my new online women’s bookclub via “goodreads.” Pretty good first pick!

Baltimore Blues by Laura Lippman
Oh another day another mystery detective series. This one is Tess Monaghan. I can say her name at least. I couldn’t get an image of her in my head though (described as amazon-ish, lanky, stocky, and muscled – as you can see I just wrote two pairs of antonyms) . It’s storyline wasn’t compelling and the main character kind of sucked. However her friends kind of rocked. I’ll probably pick up the next to give it a whirl – when I’m home and can grab it from the library.

NixonLand by Ron Perlstein
I learned a lot in this book which isn’t to say it was great. At times I felt he was rushing through to the end of a level in super mario brothers with the theme music chasing you down the last few seconds you had left to jump that final pipe…AH! Pages of facts and headline news articles were strewn together with very subjective commentary, which is fine if you are writing a thesis. The problem is that Perlstein throws out the idea and never really appropriately argues for it. I’m glad I read it because I had a lot of insight into the then, and the commonalities with now. I just wish I had more answers and lesser feelings of hate.

3 comments:

  1. I read Mistborn under the exact same motivation. Wanting a good fantasy read without needing to dedicate to a dozen 700 page novels from the get-go. Been putting off trying G.R.R. Martin for the same reason. But I enjoyed it just the same and flew through it.

    Woman in White I enjoyed less than I thought I would. It went by sooo slow for me. The surprises were awesome and it all paid off, but somehow it felt like the "set-up" took too long. Happy to get through it and am enjoying the discussion with the chicks however, so all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting you mention Mistborn--I had recently read Sanderson's Warbreaker and really liked it and meant to look for Mistborn (local libraries don't have it though, so I'll have to request). This is a series, no? Not a stand-alone book?

    I did not like Baltimore Blues. It turns out I had read it years ago and forgotten I'd read it, so the 2nd time I read it (during this year), I couldn't get through it. Something weird about the writing that didn't grab me, 'tho it certainly could improve in future books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys,

    Yeah, Mistborn is 3 books, the fist is called "Mistorn" and has turned the entire series into that name. It works...

    Jane: Definately check it out, I think you'll like it.

    Kalanna: Have you read Martin yet? Do so if you can!! HBO is shooting the pilot to it as we speak.

    ReplyDelete