Monday, October 12, 2009

Daily oddities

Here are some things that happened to me over the past week:

- My office was under the false impression that I practiced Islam. It’s a weird thing to mistake. It’s ironic too since most people in the US office assume I’m Jewish. Anyway, the food here is very fattening. I’ve had to have Anand cut back on cooking since I jumped up about 10 lbs. my first month – I now eat fruits, raw veggies, and yogurts and light sandwiches for dinner and only eat Anands heavy ghee, oil, cream, curry and chapati lunches. While this has brought me back down in weight, I am apparently considered to be “fasting” and therefore some religious mistakes have occurred.

- I’ve made multiple attempts to befriend my expat neighbors. However, whenever I go up to the 18th floor (which contains 3 doors to different apts) no one answers any of them. I will say that at first I only tried one door per visit in an attempt to narrow down which flat they were located in. I’m now at the point of pure frustration and buzz on everyone one in the span of 10 seconds - with no door openings. Fail.

- I’m probably going to go see a movie every weekend going forward. The movie theatre is right next door. I went yesterday to see Inglorius Basterds (and don’t nitpick me on spelling…that’s what you get for giving your movie a messed up title) and the theatre has these big plush red arm chairs that you can practically lay down in w/ recline - AND stadium seating. It’s immense. And so comfy!!! I loved it. Hopefully most amerian movies will be playing in one of the "Red Lounge" theatres.  So cool.

- I’ll never get used to the sideways head nod which denotes acquiescence but to me looks like a very strong negation. There is nothing like explaining a process to someone and having them sit there and look at you shaking their head back and forth. “What don’t you understand?” I’ll ask in my most patient voice I can muster. And they look at me with confusion – “I understand” they say and then I remember that shaking heads no mean yes.

- Trying to book a last minute mini vacation for the weekend since it’s Diwali. I’m slightly motivated by my security guy who keeps asking me about Diwali and some weird thing about a tip or 3000 rupees. I have no idea what the hell he is saying to me. I figure leaving would be best – no confusion and no tip/present requirement. Ok, that’s not really why I am motivated but it’s still weirding me out.  I’m excited to get out of Mumbai though, breathe some halfway decent air (no offense to Mumbai peeps but it's true, this place does not have clean air).

No comments:

Post a Comment