Monday, October 19, 2009

The Effect of The ‘Bama

Most Americans, regardless of political affiliation, are aware of how the election of Barack Obama has heightened the world view of the US. I too, was similarly aware of the notion that it would somehow increase our standing abroad.

Living abroad, and seeing it in actuality, provide a much different viewpoint on the subject.

I’d be doing an injustice to remain silent on the subject; its effect is so pervasive it’s actually necessary for me to discuss. It’s important to note that it is not at all about Obama’s policies, his diplomacy, or his leadership that lead to these emotions of him, it’s simply who he is that brings about such passion. I run the risk of sounding cliché when I speak of it and it troubles me because it’s such a tangible essence that it needs to be taken seriously. Obama’s election reminded people what America stood for, it reinvigorated the American ideal and dream; it made hope attainable.

Hope is something that most Americans attribute to better living: higher salary, ultimate leisure and consumerism, and an identifiable place in society. These are not necessarily ungallant notions or goals, but it is easy for us to forget what the hope of others might be as we live out our lives. I do not put myself above this, in fact I put myself smack in the fray. My political machinations, my idea of success, my ultimate goals for happiness are things I only categorize as living my life in the united states. It doesn’t make me or anyone else in america less or more of a person, it only makes us unattached to the trials of others.

While some of my realization on the subject has happened when speaking with Indians, a great more of it has happens while I have spoken with expats. It’s easy to forget that almost every country has a minority or in worse cases a suppressed population with their rights varying depending on the situation. Some are dealing with social and financial disparity, others still with slavery, exile, and genocide. Sometimes my conversations will with foreigners travels to politics and in some cases they engage in a lively discussion. More often than not, their eyes glaze over – until the subject of Obama is broached. This is when many an eye lights up. Most conversations go in such a similar fashion that I find it remarkable that of all the differences in the world there seems to be one equal sentiment.

“Obama!” Head shaking. “Unbelievable.”

“Unbelievalbe how?” I ask fearing a litany of anti war rhetoric.

“That America…that you elected this man. America, it is the leader of all things in the world. And America, has elected this man, a minority! You’ve changed everything for everyone else in the world. You…America, you have changed everything!”

I paraphrase many a conversation and I hope I have not done any of them a disservice, but when I hear those words, I can’t help but get emotional and a bit prideful. Obama isn’t the answer to the world’s problems, and I think what politicians and a lot of people don’t get is that it’s not the POINT. He represents an idea of human equality. He represents the overthrow of human oppression. And in America, while we continue to fight along political frontlines and rumble about millions vs. billions, the rest of the world sees something much more in his election by a white majority.  They see us, for all our remonstrations and perversions, as an idea that works.  Not even just for americans in america, but maybe...just maybe...for them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment