Thursday, July 22, 2010

To Sims or To Life

While at dinner this weekend with friends my boyfriend launched into the behavior of my Sims addiction which goes a little something like this:  “She buys all the games and expansions when they come out, installs them, plays them for 3 hours, then calls me to bitch about how much money she spent and how lame the game is and then never plays it again.”
 
After his..strong statement, one might ask him, “well how many times has this happened exactly?”  And his response would be 6 times.  Unfortunately he is not exaggerating.
 
Okay.  So I have a problem, I admit it.  The games go for around 40 bucks with expansions around 20-40 so it’s not really a cheap thing to do.  On the other hand a nice dinner for 3 hours would cost me more than 40 dollars and I shit that out.  At least I have the game disk and packaging when it comes to Sims.  I know this is a really pathetic justification but it makes me feel better, okay?
 
When I was little I was really obsessed with those cardboard cutout models (paperdolls) that you would buy and then you could put on the different paper outfits on them with the paper hooks.  I made up all sorts of fun stories and problems that they would have to act them out to my whim, dressed appropriately of course.  Sims is really just the paperdoll passtime on the computer. But they move on their own and have little houses and it’s clearly a step up.   

The problem with the sims is that it sounds cool but then you actually play it and the monotony and sheer will of energy to make your virtual people do the things you want and act out your own stories is exhausting!  And you are sending your people to work, having them fall down tired because you made them have 12 kids, and the kids are all running around not doing their homework and then all of sudden the social worker is there to take them away, then the husband starts cheating with the live in maid…I can only take it for a few hours before I think…WTF am I doing with my time?    That is when I resort to the /motherlode cheat but by then it just isn’t fun anymore.
 
So okay okay, 6 times.  Learned my lesson!  But, but but but but the new Sims 3 nightlife looks so cool!  There are skyscrapers!  Rooftop Hottubs!  Seedy jazz clubs and vampires!  I mean….maybe it will be cool?  I think I should at least give it a try.

2 comments: