Tuesday, July 20, 2010

City Gardening

So I live in Boston, in a condo that doesn't have anything green around it.

In order to compensate I used my back 3 season porch as a garden. This has done nothing but kill everything I put in it. (I should  note that I have never once in my life a) gardened or b) successfully taken care of any living thing.  My family nicknamed me "the fishkiller" when I was little)

I  decided to put herbs in the cinderblocks around my house that separate my driveway from my neighbor's driveway to get some outdoor light and rain.  This I thought would be the sure fire way to kill off anything left remaning alive.

Surprise surprise, the stuff starts growing like weeds.  Here is what I picked today -- just a few stalks of the many overgrown basil and rosemary!

I took some and cooked with it and now I feel really cool, like I'm almost self sustaining.  That's what using a fresh herb will do for you, it will give you the feeling of being immune to famine. 


Healthy but oh-so tasty Pasta with Buttered Pumpernickle

1 onion sauteed
1 garlic clove, sauteed with the onion for a few minutes
cherry tomatoes halved or a big tomato cut up and cooked with onion and garlic for a good 5 mins (til liquid released)
Salt and pepper
Throw in basil at the end and let wilt
Handful of whole wheat pasta, almost done stirred in with above ingredients.
Serve with bread of choice or salad

No comments:

Post a Comment