Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wow that makes you look fat

One of the more prominent cultural differences between east and west is the way people speak and interact with each other. People here tend to be a lot more blunt and upfront. Although this is something that I originally noticed it is something that continually surprises me.


For example the other week, as I got dressed with my female co-workers for a work party. If you want to know how you REALLY look, just get dressed with a bunch of people who are not Americans. Here is a sampling of the commentary:

“No, don’t wear that color, it doesn’t suit you.”

“You need to comb your hair.”

“Don’t use that type of brush, it makes your hair look bad.”

“You need to start oiling your hair.”

“You are going to put on some makeup I hope.”

“You are putting that eyeliner on wrong. Let me do it.”

“You should wear skirts more. Pants don’t work for you.”

It's humbling but also nice to know that if you do look fat in something, you'll be told.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious which one you'd prefer amongst ppl being honest and direct vs ppl being dishonest but nice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great question. I'd have to go with honesty - I prefer to know where I stand, even though the immediate affect might not be as pleasant.

    ReplyDelete