Friday, November 6, 2015

What my BioWare romances say about me (part 2)

Suggested Pre Reading:  Part 1
Warning:  Major plot spoilers for the following games:  Mass Effect 2 and 3, Dragon Age 2 and Dragon Age:  Inquisition - Main story through Trespass DLC, SWTOR - Main Story through Level 50.

It's been 4 years and multiple games later and I did promise you some follow through on where my relationships have taken me. 

We last left off in a world of triangles and tribulations.  Thane the dying assassin and Liara my lovely asari consular both seemed to be back in my life and both simultaneously disposed with other more important business.  This left me to wonder...what about ME?  Yes we have entered the self centered egotistical timeline of the heart.

Inue, Jedi Consular
Zenith
But let's back up.  Before Mass Effect 3 came out there was a short lived involvement with a game called "Star Wars The Old Republic."  I could really go on for a long time on how amazing my character was (double edge lightsword jedi consular....i mean, stop the awesome press) but finding love was another affair.  I often felt repulsed to the strangely effeminate professor Theran Cedrex.  He was slimy and overtly aggressive.  I much preferred Zenith, the sniper twi'lek.  Here was a real man...err alien tentacle thing.  But not to be, as he wasn't even a romance option.  I flitted about the world without a real anchor of romance, somewhat depressed.  Zenith reminded me a bit of Fenris, my love/hate relationship from Dragon Age 2.  

Dragon Age Inquisition had me torn between Solas (elven mage) and Cullen (strapping blond human commander) but after Zevran and then Fenris, I felt I needed to explore a bit beyond the elven paradigm.  So I set off in my new world with the intent to be open minded!  Take the road less traveled!  And Cullen seemed familiar, and safe.  So we cozy up.  He seems stable, he gives good advice...and that accent!  And then.  AND THEN i realize why he is so familiar and reminds me of home.  This was a character from the first game!  3 games ago!  I met him in another character at the mage tower!  He was a templar and he had a crush on me!  But not me...the other me!  AWKWARD.  And here I am, a mage again, and I'm like...Oh i get it.  But i don't really get it, I can't get it.  I can't know.  But I DO KNOW.  So then my character from the second game shows up (sans Fenris) and she meets Alistar (the prince who turned my other character down in the first game after that accidental threesome) and character #2 and Alistar go into the fade and I need to sacrifice either one.  And honestly, Alistar made better sense to keep alive from a story point but I was still really pissed off about him dissing me from game 1.  And he had that demon baby with Morrigan.  So bye bye Alistar.  And I couldn't break up me and Fenris.  But I digress.

Cullen ends up being a lyrium drug addict (I know how to pick them) and I had to quietly nurse his ass while not pressing him too hard.  Touchy male egos abound.

But this is all rather trite when it comes to the triangle of Liara and Thane.  Liara, you see, had become the Shadow Broker.  When we finally met back up I had a hard time being with her again. And i think she knew it.  Thane on the other hand, was where my heart was.   And then bioware took my heart and ripped it in half.  Thane, was in fact, dying.  But not dying well.  He was in a hospital on the citadel and when I got there....after being on earth and not being able to speak with him...it was so so sad and terrible.  And then.  And then...this.


I have no words bioware.  None.

Liara comforts you but being with Liara again...it's just not the same.  I miss Thane.

Back to my inquisitor - who if I did not mention is kicking ass and taking names - and is also the most waif-y unlikely hero ever - and Cullen.  This is where the disaster usually happens for me.  I mess things up, I die, or something terrible happens.  But Cullen seems to be genuninely engaged.  I don't push him away with his addiction thing, I don't say the wrong thing, and somehow things just work out.  The most strange pairing, not 100% romantic or perfect, but yet the most stable and rewarding.  And then, well - we get married.  And I lose an arm.  But I mean, generally a happy ending.
Mrs. Cullen Rutherford


No comments:

Post a Comment