Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Egg on your face

I had the good fortune of having my cousin fly from Chennai to Mumbai to visit me for a weekend. She is 20 years my senior and she and I have met several times over the course of my life since I was 13. Any knowledge I have about India and my family comes from her (no thanks to my father who remained mum on the subject until his death). This trend continued as we discussed cooking and our diets.

During the conversation I mentioned that I like to eat protein in the form of eggs. She shot me a look and said, “Aren’t you allergic to eggs?”

Now this of course made me stop in absolute surprise. For years I’ve been contemplating that I have in fact been allergic to eggs. I usually get a tummy ache when I eat them but when I’d mention it to a doctor or a friend I’d get brushed off with: “What? How can you be allergic to eggs?? And why would it make your stomach hurt?” So I’d attribute the feeling to poor cooking technique or some other weird thing going on with me at the time.

Feeling somewhat vindicated I said, “YES! Yes I am!!!”

To which she looked at me strangely and said, ‘So why are you eating them?” Properly admonished, I just shrugged.

She proceeded to tell me that as I get older I’ll get more allergies -- although now that I think back it might have been wise for me to ask her what food would have initiated such an effect (I still shudder at Hive Implosion ’09).

I went too early on Saturday and I still have no idea about the Huka Smoke shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment