Sunday, January 2, 2011

Kinect Love

Okay, so I got a Kinect and yes I love it.   I could go on about all the cool things it does but the truth is it does a lot of cool things only moderately cool.  See, I'm not so much in love with the Kinect as it stands today as I am in love with the idea of the kinect.  It's like a really unhealthy relationship. 


However, this is not to say that it isn't an object of beauty (it looks really sharp by my TV) or that I only half like it when I'm playing it (I LOVE IT!  I feel like Tom Cruise in minority report!!!  Except being like Tom Cruise isn't that cool.  But you know what I mean).  But there is a slight delay on it and after the 3rd calibration of the system you are like...WTF just remember the play area, ok??  But overall I do love this thing, because what it is isn't so much a motion sensor as it is a leap forward in technology that is going to allow for all sorts of future technology right out of 2001 (which, btw, it is 2011 and we are super behind...thank you microsoft for getting people's asses in gear for better miracles of modern science in the years to come.)

Accessible motion sensor technology and voice/face recognition should have been done years ago.  Kinect makes it affordable and the gamer community will continue to hack and bypass it which will make the technology better for when we use it for products with security requirements.  That's why I love gamers and I love the gaming community.  We make better technology, just for fun.

In the meantime, I'm very happy I spent money on such a worthwhile leap forward.  One of the more shocking components of this product is that it takes pictures of you while you are doing stupid ass moves (which it knows you are doing because it's making you do it) and then shows it to you afterward.  I will not be posting those.  However, you can record living statues -- making your avatar do something and recording your voice.  That seems like a worthwhile sharing moment:

No comments:

Post a Comment